“I knew I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today, my own government.”
“The United States of America is the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today.”
“God didn’t call on America to engage in a senseless, unjust war in Vietnam. And we are criminals in that War. We’ve committed more war crimes almost than any other nation in the world, and I’m going to continue to say it. And we won’t stop it because of our pride and arrogance as a nation.”
“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”
“To pursue endless war is to worship the god of hate and bow before the altar of retaliation.”
“How can they [America’s enemies] trust us when we… charge them with violence while we pour every new weapon of death into their land? Surely we must understand their feelings even if we do not condone their actions.”
“We are called to speak for the weak, for the voiceless, for victims of our nation and for those it calls enemy…”
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
- Racist: In one of your answers you openly supported these "gangs" with Uzi machine guns. And these are your "army." These are the gangs that are pushing drugs into our community. I want to ask you: how can I, sir, how can I not consider you a drug dealer?
- Kwame Ture: I'm sorry, my young comrade, do you really mean to tell me that you think that these young people with sub-machines guns are the ones who really control drugs in this country?
- Racist: Who's doing it? The army can't-
- Kwame Ture: I'll tell you who's doing it: the CIA and the FBI are bringing drugs into this country. I'll tell you better than that! That Georgie Boygie terrorist George Bush, He's the one bringing drugs into the community.
- Racist: How do you base that? George Bush isn't pushing drugs. George Bush doesn't support these gangs. George Bush is leading these gangs that are pushing the drugs?
- Kwame Ture: I'm sorry, you didn't understand my statement. My statement was-
- Racist: (interrupts)
- Kwame Ture: No you didn't. Let me explain it to you. The Chinese Revolution built it's Red Army by transforming bandit groups into the Red Army. You know this for a fact? Well you can read it. Now, these groups who are gangs with Uzi machine guns, this is my army which must be transformed to my army. They have guns now and they are being used by the enemy against my own people. I said that.
- You know anything about the Contras and Watergate, and Bush was the vice-president and he didn't know nothing about it? You think I'm a fool? You think I'm a fool? Reagan has a deal with selling drugs through the CIA, and bush who's the CIA is the Vice-President, and knows nothing about it? You must go for that ope pa-dopey stuff. Bush is the one who's bringing drugs in. I said it I'll say it again. And when you find out years later you'll say, "oh, he was right again!"
One of the reasons that Fred Hampton had to be assassinated was because he was bringing the Black Stone Rangers gang in Chicago, along with Disciples, another gang in Chicago which were rival gangs, together against the police.
Their energies are not correctly channeled. They’re channeled by the police. It’s the police who spawn gangs in America. It’s the police who bring drugs into the community. It’s the police who control the drugs in the community. It’s the police who organize Africans to sell drugs in the community making it look like they’re not involved in it.
We did a video with the leadership of the Crypts and the Bloods when they tried to come together two years ago before the rebellion. We told them the only way they will find unity is coming together to protect our community against racist police. I even told them then, “the very guns which the police give to you”-Police would get these guns, you understand? As a young man in SNCC I was carrying a gun since 1962.
So these gangs must be organized against the police because the police are the front liners of the organized gangs in the country.
What they want to do is to make the entire African community insecure among each other. When they saw the feeling of solidarity that was developing in the 60’s, you understand? They said, “We got to stop this quick. We’ve got to bring insecurity inside here so when they see each other they wont say ‘hey brother!’ they’ll say ‘are you going to kill me?’.”
That’s all, but it ain’t goin nowhere, Jack. It’s just going to make us stronger for the second round on them because victory is ours no matter which way they come.
Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael)